Sunday, January 24, 2010

Studying Korean 1월 24일

So today was very interesting,

On Sundays, I am now tutoring a boy who is about 10 years old (Korean Age), Grade 2 of elementary. I am tutoring him English Grammar and holy HELL! He knows more about it than me... He speaks fluent, natural English because his father spoke to him in English since he was born, so he is completely bi-lingual. His father works for a foreign bank (Australia-New Zealand Bank - I believe) here in Korea, so he had to learn English. Its pretty neat, I will totally try that with my future future children because its so cool.

Anyways, the main intent for writing this blog is to mention that, considering I have only been in Korea for 6 months (as of today), I am pretty - or somewhat but not actually - fluent in Korean (Just a VERY little fluent.)

Here is an example of my fluency - I had tried studying Japanese for 6 years (age 13 - to age 18) and I don't speak a word of legible Japanese (is that a proper sentence??) and in the 6 months that I've been here, I can carry on a small conversation of broken Korean/English (Konglish). and at least I can get my point across.

I am very please with myself. ^^ I can't wait for another few months, then I'll be a lot better. I know my pronunciation is super super good, unlike a lot of people.
People who use romanized Korean or Japanese are doomed and will never learn real pronunciation and no one will be able to understand what they are saying.
To me, using romanization of Korean gets me super confused and gives me a head ache.
Plus, in Hanguel, there is one way to spell things, with romanization; there is more than 10 ways to try and spell a Korean word and they are all wrong.

Like what the hell is this : jwe-song-ha-ji-mahn. ?? or this jeo-nun han-kook-o-rul jo-gum-bah-ke mo-tahm-ni-da. <-- I can't even read that in English.. how the hell will I pronounce it properly in my life! Unless I read the Hanguel I will never know. My Fiancee can't even understand these weird romanizations.
and wtf ---> mahn-na-bwep-ge dwe-o-seo bahn-gahp-soum-ni-da. Wow... that is one effing long word. According to the website that I got it off of - to get some examples of what gives me a headache (which shall remain unnamed) - It means, "I am very glad to meet you. "
But... I learn "Nice to meet you" as 만나서 반갑습니다. (and in Romanization I would spell it as - 만나서 반갑습니다 because I don't even know the Romanization AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!)


ANYWAYS, enough of my rant! I am going to edit more youtube videos ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment